Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Typography



For this typographical conveyance, I located an image of an ice cream cone and placed it in PowerPoint.  Then I proceeded to format, bend, and shape words in PowerPoint.  I used random fonts for the cone with shades of cream and tan.  For the chocolate, I focused on two primary fonts, and then incorporated a third font in the beginning "c" of the lighter brown.  Finally, I used two values of red for the cherry, with one font.  Once I was satisfied with the shape of the text, I deleted the ice cream cone image.  Then, I applied a gradient background with values of light blue.  Of course, the final step was the screen grab to upload to my blog.

Clarity
This theme should be fun.  Therefore, I incorporated random fonts, placed right-side up, sideways, and even upside down.  I think its interpretation is clear.  I could not decide if the cherry or the chocolate should be the focal point, and I am still not sure.  Since my values start dark with the cherry and proceed downwards to lighter shades of browns and then creams, I do not believe the colors distract.  If anything competes for attention, it may the first "c" fonts in my chocolate.  However, I think if this is used as a small graphic, such as above, it is okay.  I thought about making everything a single color to simplify it like the class example.  However, I thought the color portrayed fun and helped separate the different food parts.  While I liked the effect of the solid white background, I think my shape looks more like a torch.  I tried selecting a group and resizing, but that was a disaster.  However, the gradient blue distracts from the overall shape, thus making it appear more like an ice cream cone.

Audience
I think there could be two possible audiences for this project.  It could be used as a graphic on a menu, or advertisement for an ice cream shop.  Secondly, it might even be fun to use on an invitation to a party.  The demographics are almost unlimited.  Even dogs like ice cream, though I doubt a dog can decipher this. LOL!  If I wanted to change the tone, I could change the background.  A brighter hue might suggest more fun, but I need to be careful that it does not become a distraction.  Hopefully, anyone that views this visual will immediately sense the taste of ice cream.  Certainly, it should stand apart from the typical clip art ice cream cone.  I think it conveys fun, in an artsy way.  By varying the shades of color, it also adds dimension and texture.  If this piece were a person they would immediately drive to Kline's and stand in line for a chocolate cone!

Purpose
Again, I think this graphic could be used to sell ice cream or could stand alone on an invitation for informative purposes.  Therefore, it is both persuasive and informative.  I hope that the varied sizes of fonts in "chocolate" give the effect of swirls.  Also, I hope the round wordart depicts a "cherry" and the curved placements of "cone" give both shape and dimension.

No comments:

Post a Comment